Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Work is Sabotaging my Knitting

Yup. It's a sad fact.

I swear in the last week I've only knit about an inch of my sweater. Yeah, I'm still working on the same front flap that I've been working on all month. And that unnamed tam I was so diligently working to finish up? Today was the first time I was able to even touch it, much less sit down and fix the errors I'd made.

The conundrum is that I need to work to buy yarn, but then I don't have time to play with said yarn. Instead, I spend my spare time at work flipping through ravelry (in case any co-workers happen to read this, I swear I'm still productively multi-tasking and fielding calls simultaneously!!) finding all sorts of yarns and projects that I still don't have time to start. If only I was independently wealthy and didn't have to work to support my habit...

The good news? I actually got 2 hours tonight where I had nothing pressing to do and could just knit ('cause honestly, how pressing are bills, really??). I'm really looking forward to spring break, where I'll only be working my day job and will be able to spend my evenings working on my own unnamed Tam, Twist & Shout, and Shalom.

I'm still waiting for my yarn from Knit picks to come in - hope it makes it here soon! In the meantime, I'll leave you with this delicious hank by Blue Heron Yarns, a rayon/metallic blend in Spanish Dancer, which I purchased last summer during a meet up in Santa Barbara with some of my Knit Knack girls. I'm dying to make this into a shawl but I have yet to find or design the perfect pattern for it. Can't you just imagine how elegant those dark colors and gold sparkles would be draped around your shoulder while all dolled up?!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That yarn is GORGEOUS! I think a simple stitch is called for, something complicated would detract from the brilliant colors.

    I know that it's like rubbing salt into a wound for me to say this, but man oh man, I am so glad I don't have a "job". (I tell everyone who asks what I do for a living that I am a High Level Housewife.) I hope you can figure out a way to get more knitting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be right about the simple stitch for that yarn... I have a tendency to go overly complicated so that's some great advice!

    Even though I love the work I do, there are some days that I envy your "job," Mary!

    ReplyDelete